Jamestown, Kansas is a small town with a population of approximately 700 people. It is located in the north-central part of the state in Marshall County, and is situated along the Kansas River. Jamestown has a humid continental climate, with hot summers and cold winters. Check whicheverhealth for information about Alta Vista, Kansas.
The history of Jamestown dates back to 1854 when it was founded by James Renfro and his family, who were among the first settlers in Marshall County. The town was originally called “Jamestown” after Mr. Renfro’s first name. It was incorporated as a city in 1887 and later became an important stop along the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad line.
Politically, Jamestown is part of Marshall County which leans heavily Republican in elections. The economy of the area is largely based on agriculture with corn and soybeans being the primary crops grown here. There are also several businesses that provide services to local residents such as auto repair shops, restaurants and convenience stores.
Jamestown has one school district which serves students from kindergarten through twelfth grade with two schools – an elementary school and a high school – located within its city limits. The schools offer students an excellent education with many clubs and activities for them to participate in during their time there.
There are several landmarks located within Jamestown that are worth visiting including the historic Renfro House which was built by James Renfro himself in 1854; The Old Stone Church which served as a place of worship for early settlers; The Cottonwood Grove which is home to one of Kansas’ oldest cottonwood trees; and Fort Reunion Park which was once a fort used during the Civil War to protect settlers from Indian raids during that time period.
Population: 399. Estimated population in July 2020: 389 (-2.5% change)
Males: 206 (51.6%), Females: 193 (48.4%)
Zip code: 66948
Median resident age: 37.4 years
Median household income: $29,167
Median house value: $21,300
Races in Jamestown:
- White Non-Hispanic (97.2%)
- American Indian (2.5%)
- Two or more races (2.5%)
Ancestries: German (33.1%), French (21.1%), Irish (17.3%), French Canadian (7.5%), Danish (7.0%), Dutch (6.8%).
Elevation: 1411 feet
Land area: 0.3 square miles
Jamestown, Kansas is a small town located in the northern part of the state. The population of Jamestown is approximately 3,000 people. The majority of the population is white with a few African Americans and Hispanics living in the area. Jamestown also has a few Native American residents who have been living here for generations. The median household income in Jamestown is around $50,000 per year and most of the town’s residents are employed in agriculture or manufacturing jobs.
The cost of living in Jamestown is quite low compared to other parts of Kansas. The average rent for an apartment or house ranges from $500 to $750 per month depending on size and location. Utilities such as water, electricity, and gas are relatively inexpensive as well. Food prices are also lower than other parts of Kansas due to local farms providing fresh produce and other items at lower costs than larger grocery stores outside of Jamestown. Transportation costs are low since most people use their own vehicles or take public transportation provided by local government agencies. Overall, living in Jamestown is very affordable for those looking for a small town lifestyle without breaking the bank!
For population 25 years and over in Jamestown
- High school or higher: 83.1%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 12.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.5%
- Unemployed: 1.6%
- Mean travel time to work: 26.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Jamestown city
- Never married: 19.3%
- Now married: 55.9%
- Separated: 0.9%
- Widowed: 13.4%
- Divorced: 10.6%
0.5% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +63 (+18.8%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Jamestown:
- CLOUD COUNTY HEALTH CENTER (about 16 miles; CONCORDIA, KS)
- MITCHELL COUNTY HOSPITAL (about 19 miles; BELOIT, KS)
- REPUBLIC COUNTY HOSPITAL (about 23 miles; BELLEVILLE, KS)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Jamestown:
- SALINA MUNI (about 58 miles; SALINA, KS; Abbreviation: SLN)
- HASTINGS MUNI (about 79 miles; HASTINGS, NE; Abbreviation: HSI)
- MANHATTAN RGNL (about 89 miles; MANHATTAN, KS; Abbreviation: MHK)
Other public-use airports nearest to Jamestown:
- BLOSSER MUNI (about 16 miles; CONCORDIA, KS; Abbreviation: CNK)
- MORITZ MEMORIAL (about 20 miles; BELOIT, KS; Abbreviation: K61)
- BELLEVILLE MUNI (about 21 miles; BELLEVILLE, KS; Abbreviation: RPB)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Jamestown:
- KANSAS STATE UNIVERSITY (about 94 miles; MANHATTAN, KS; Full-time enrollment: 19,210)
- CENTRAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 99 miles; GRAND ISLAND, NE; Full-time enrollment: 3,730)
- BARTON COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 107 miles; GREAT BEND, KS; Full-time enrollment: 2,268)
- HUTCHINSON COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 108 miles; HUTCHINSON, KS; Full-time enrollment: 2,268)
- FORT HAYS STATE UNIVERSITY (about 113 miles; HAYS, KS; Full-time enrollment: 4,572)
- SOUTHEAST COMMUNITY COLLEGE AREA (about 116 miles; LINCOLN, NE; Full-time enrollment: 5,137)
- UNIVERSITY OF NEBRASKA AT LINCOLN (about 117 miles; LINCOLN, NE; Full-time enrollment: 19,806)